Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What I Look Forward To In Maryland

I promised in an earlier post that I would list what I look forward to about moving to Maryland. This is difficult because I haven’t lived there although I grew up about an hour away. Give me 18 years, and I’ll have a list to battle the Bellevue list (I hope). The items are in no particular order.

I am looking forward to:
• Randy’s BBQ in Hughesville.
• Finding a job. (Earlier today I searched both the DC and Seattle markets for the exact same position. DC listed 75 possibilities; Seattle listed 3.)
• Renovating our house. I really look forward to making it functional for how we live today rather than living with a floor plan that worked 130 years ago.
• Lightning bugs.
• Thunder storms. I was terrified of them when I was little, but now I kind of like them. The Northwest has tiny little storms with a couple of booms and then they’re done. The East has real whoppers that can scare you half to death! It’s good to get the adrenaline pumping now and then.
• Warm weather and sun starting in spring and lasting until fall.
• Snow that is quickly plowed on relatively flat streets.
• Volunteering less. I have volunteered an extreme amount over many years, and it’s time for a break. People in Bellevue have learned that I don’t usually say no. People in Maryland may not learn that one about me. Frankly, I might not even have the time to volunteer.
• Spending significantly more time with my husband since we’ll be more likely to be on the same coast. In 2010, Peter was in Maryland 31% of the year. It’s looking like it will be 36% this year.
• Not having to vote for the fire district or the port authority commissioners. Really, how can I possibly know who is the most qualified?
• A short line at public offices. Since we are rural, our licensing lines aren’t three hours long, and our post office lines are almost non-existent.
• Seeing my family more often. I have four brothers and 10 Thomason nieces and nephews. When they travel, they are more likely to head east rather than west.
• Kayaking on Macintosh Run which is the river alongside the winery. Next door to the winery is a kayak rental company.
• Audiobooks. While I don’t look forward to a long commute, I’ll likely have one. That will allow me lots of time to listen to audiobooks.
• Learning new skills as a chicken farmer. I like the idea of trying to be responsible for at least some of my own food. I don’t know how it will go, but I’m willing to give it a try.
• Reuniting with my dog. He’s currently on loan to my parents until we make our final move. I miss him terribly.
• The sounds of crickets, cicadas, and frogs. Also, the bird population is different. I like the sounds of my youth.
• The pure adventure of it all. I moved to Bellevue when my firstborn was a week old. We had new jobs, a new child, a new community, and not a single friend within 1000 miles. I had never been to the Pacific Northwest, but I embraced the opportunity and made it through with a grin on my face. It’s time to do the same thing in reverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment